Saturday, June 5, 2010

Curried Cauliflower Soup

Mmmm...I love curry.  And there is so much variety, and many are vegetarian recipes.  This one is based off a recipe I got out a "Simple Suppers," a Moosewood Cookbook ::love::.  I tweaked it to make it even more nutritious and tasty.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Some chopped up Onions (the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups, but I didn't use that much!)
Vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the soup pan
1 1/2 tbs grated peeled ginger root
1 1/2 tbs curry powder
1 t Chinese chili paste (optional: makes it very bite-y!)
1/2 t salt
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
1 15 oz can of lentils, drained
1 quart of vegetable broth (or water)
a head of cauliflower ( I used 2 frozen quart bags full)
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (I unfortunately didn't have any, so I put some canned tomato juice in it)


                                "Sambal Oelek"Chili Paste

 I first got all my spices together: curry, ginger, salt, and Chinese chili paste (I also added a little garlic).  Then I coated the bottom of a soup pan with vegetable oil.  I diced up the onion and sauteed it in the soup pan on medium heat.  Once they were soft, I added the spices until it made a nice yellow "sauce," about a minute or two.

 Then I added the chick peas, lentils, and vegetable broth.  Cover and bring to a boil.  In the meantime, cut up the cauliflower into bite sized chunks.  Add the cauliflower and tomatoes, and let cook until they are soft.


My little helper teething on frozen cauliflower!

When the cauliflower is soft, spoon about half the soup into the blender and puree it.  Pour the soup back into the pot, and you're finished!


YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment