Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PIE CRUST 101- for the beginner

I LOVE PIE!! Homemade Pie is probably my favorite of all desserts. And I'm one of those strange people who actually enjoy baking pie. For me, it's an art form. I know that for many people, making pie crust is a struggle. I admit it was for me too in the early days of marriage. But after 30 years, I have conquered the fear of pie crust- and I'm convinced you can too!!

Though there are many great recipes out there for pie crust, I usually just stick to the old tried and true Crisco version. For exact measurements for the size pie you are making, go to Crisco's website. (while you're there check out all the yummy recipes)



Begin with flour, salt and chilled crisco.



Cut in Crisco with a pastry blender (a must have for pie)....

....until it is totally incorporated into the flour. Do not overmix. This is the secret to making crust- quickly and completely incorporating the flour, salt and shortening before adding the water.





Now add the water slowly as you fork the dough around the bowl mixing as you go. Dough should not be too wet or too dry....but as Goldilocks would say...JUST RIGHT!
Remember that practice makes perfect!




Form dough into a ball (cut in half if your making a top crust). Remember not to over-handle the dough, just enough to meld the ingredients together. It helps if you flour your hands as well before handling the dough. Sprinkle some flour on your work surface. (A pastry cloth comes in handy for this) Roll the dough to the diameter necessary (large enough to account for the depth of your pan).



Roll the dough over the rolling pin and place in the pan.




Prick your dough with a fork and you're ready to either bake or fill.

Congratulations! You are on your way to creating many pies that will delight the ones you love!!




No comments:

Post a Comment