Wednesday, July 14, 2010

FRUIT PIES,CLEAR JEL, AND FREEZING PIES

My family loves fruit pies! So needless to say, summertime is a time of lots of pie baking. I often make a pie to eat and a pie to freeze. Fruit pies freeze very easily.*

With the exception of apple pie, I usually use Clear Jel or Therm flo as my pie thickener. (To learn more about Clear Jel, click here), for Therm Flo, click here.

note: If I am planning to freeze fruit pies, I use Therm Flo. I purchase both Clear Jel and Therm Flo at my local Amish store.

I follow a basic recipe for pie, but alter as needed depending on the fruit, its sweetness, the size pie pan I'm using, and my estimation of how juicy I think it will be. For example, cherry pie tends to be juicier than blueberry. Therefore, I'll add a slightly lesser amount of Clear Jel to a blueberry pie.


To make an average size fruit pie, begin with a basic unbaked pie crust.

Mix filling in a bowl:

1 qt of fruit
3/4 c -1 cup of sugar
1/4 c -1/3 c Clear Jel or Therm Flo
enough water to moisten sugar and Clear Jel or Therm Flo and make slightly soupy


Add filling to pie crust and add a top crust. (For tips on a lattice top, click here) I usually brush on cream, egg, or a mixture of both and sprinkle some clear sanding sugar (the kind of sugar used for cookies) across the top. This makes a for a beautiful pie that shimmers. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, then reduce to 35o for about 45 minutes or longer (Larger pies may require more time). Be certain that your pie filling has come to a bubble. This (bubbling) is what makes the pie gel or set. Cool before cutting. Enjoy!






Raspberry pie



Lattice-Topped Cherry Pie



Blueberry Pie



*FREEZING PIES

Tuck away a fruit pie by freezing for later! For best results, the pie should be baked first. Then put it, uncovered, in the freezer. When it's completely frozen, wrap the pie tightly or put it in a plastic freezer bag and pop it back in the freezer. Frozen baked fruit pies will keep up to 4 months.

To serve a frozen 2-crust pie, unwrap it and thaw at room temperature for 1 hour. Then heat the pie in the oven at 375°F on the lowest rack for 35 to 40 minutes or until warm.




Cooking Tips for Clear Jel
1 Tbsp of cornstarch=1-1/2 Tbsp of Clear Jel
2 Tbsp flour or tapioca=1 Tbsp Clear Jel
Per 4 cups of fruit, use 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons of Clear Jel




No comments:

Post a Comment