Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Pennsylvania Treat-Pig Belly!

Pig Belly (AKA hog maw) is a Pennsylvania treat. Now I realize most folks who did not grow up eating this stuff would not give this recipe a try. But I thought I'd share it anyway.


Pig Belly

Begin with a clean hog maw purchased in the meat department of the grocery store or ask for one at your local butcher. I usually soak mine in some salt water for a few minutes.

The ingredients for pig belly are simple. I just use an extra large bowl or container to combine these 3 simple ingredients.

Ingredients
1 part ground sausage (at least 2 lbs)
1 part potatoes (cubed)
1 part cabbage (I usually use an entire head)

Lots of salt and pepper to taste

This will look like a lot of stuffing but remember, the belly gets stuffed, and the cabbage will shrink as it cooks.





The stuffing may be baked alone or stuffed in the belly.













































Many folks just use the belly to hold the ingredients together like the casing of a sausage. However, I know many who actually gnaw on the belly.

Stuff the belly with stuffing ingredients as full as possible being careful not to tear the belly. I use a needle and thread to sew up the ends of the belly. Place in a roaster on a rack. Add a little water to the bottom of the pan. (Don't let the pan cook dry.) Cover and Bake at 375 or about 3 or 31/2 hrs.
When pig belly is browned, slice and serve. Most Pennsylvanians eat this meal with some apple butter bread. If you're brave enough to give this recipe a try, Email me and let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment